Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Sundance '08 2 days before festival

9:00am 1-15-08

I am having the free breakfast right now. Coffee, juice, cereal, oatmeal, toast. Just great by me and I don;t have to pay extra for it. I am realizing now before katie has come to breakfast that we really have nothing to do until 7:30pm when we can see a movie. I'll ask her what she thinks.

9:22am

after chatting with Wade (a very nice Aussie on a round the world trip) katie and I are going to hit the slopes, only a fool would not ski in this town....right? So we will buy a ski lift ticket ($67) get our gear (20% discount for haggling- totaling $57) and walk to the kiddie slopes to see if I can do this. I have skied once before, I was 12. After Katie, Wade and I have a chat about dating pregnant women and dealing with their estranged lovers, Wade takes off for NYC and we to the mountain(s).

11:48am

I have gone down the kiddie slope twice with minor embarrassments. I will now ascend the mountain on the lift and try something harder. I see children young enough to breast feed doing goddam back-flips down the mountain. The snowboarders and people who are from abroad (Spain, Brazil?) are really cool too, I'm an idiot out here. An instructor told me so when I got in his way. It through me off and all I could say back was, "what's his problem?" He got me. On the slopes- I'm sure I can handle the blue square level.

11:58am

writing in notebook on ski lift impossible. Snow is somehow coming from all sides, not above.

Here's what I look like on top of the mountain- view is bad due to harsh wind conditions


12:38pm
I am halfway down the mountain, after yet another crash- Katie has abandoned me. I rounded a corner, wiped out and lost a ski over the edge of a snowbank (i dunno the terms) basically there is all this packed snow you ski on and on either side the shit is 6 feet deep, but looks harmless. I tried, half-assed, to get my ski with my pole. Failure. Another toddler just passed me at 40 mph. I hope he pulls a Sonny Bono.

1:something- i dunno, this is horseshit.
I got the ski. Christ. I can't figure out how to get them back on. Energy fading. Maybe there's a lever, the wind is amazing and terrifying. My fancy long underwear are immaculate. My $6 skipants have ripped (only one strap, still fixable)

post ski wrap up in hostel. 4:30pm
I got down the mountain, had a pitcher of beer and we went at it a few more times. The wind let up and we took this picture:

I progressed from green circle level to (almost) conquering the blue square. After the square is black diamond- those runs have names like Widowmaker and Devil's Crotch and You Will Die You Jeff, I need more practice for that. this is great fun too, I pick this over beach any day- once you get the hang of it, skiing rules. and snow is soft. When Katie abandoned me she saw this view:

Fuck the beach.

we go see some movie later, I will report. OH! an I got this sundance jacket yesterday. Very warm, good pockets.

Katie is holding a cup of warm cider, in front of the fire in the hostel. She's wearing said jacket.

No comments: