Wednesday, January 16, 2008

First big deal of Sundance

More to come on the big deal after I ramble

Yesterday was volunteer training day for me- Transportation Liason. After hearing 5 hours of information I could never retain (there was a lot to learn and there are lots of maps) I have learned that my job is to stand at a shuttle stop and answer any and all transportation questions for 4.5 hours each day. With 50,000 people in from all over, and me not really knowing jack - this should be interesting. I'm glad I have this job though because I can see movies and I basically work by myself. I will also kow everything about getting around this town really quickly- which is awesome. I now understand the complex treasure map that is the park city bus map. a really nice mug was given to me too- see:


I like mugs.

During the training I found out I randomly work in the same dept as Traveler John-


I met him in NOLA on the Glory at Sea shoot i helped out on. He has traveled around the world without getting on a plane- that's pretty fucking cool. I'll get some stories out of him an blog them. In NOLA we drank and had a good time and worked on the movie. Odd that I even ran into John. 1,400 volunteers at Sundance, maybe 150 at my training thing today and there he was.

Oh oh THE FIRST BIG DEAL AT SUNDANCE....

Blood Car secured (is about to secure, just gotta sign for it) German distribution
through our foreign sales rep. I was at Sundance when I got the call and ok'd it so that qualifies as the first deal at Sundance '08. Sorry to get your hopes up on hearing something big about Donkey Punch- which I will see because of title alone.

Sorry, today I am writing this in hindsight- I forgot my pad- tonight at the Sundance Volunteer party- Beginning in 2.5 hrs- there will/should be free booze and I will
blog later....

NEXT MORNING.

Apparently, this altitude and alcohol and me - don't mix. Katie and I went over to where Traveler John is staying and had a few beers and I was fine. We went to the party an I had 1 drink and a glass of wine and it was lights out. I tried to record the events as they happened but my notepad is just full of garbled nonsense and a sketch of what looks like an interpretation of a DJ or a forest fire- I can't tell. I was the guy in the corner- partied out unable to hold my head up scribbling on a pad like an idiot. I think the bartender slipped me a mickey because I was looking so fine and dancing so nice nice. We laughed about it at breakfast. Madison (fellow volunteer/filmmaker/hostel resident) is also a racist I learned. I'll say I'm kidding about that....but am I? Here is pic of her- it is blurry because she was about to hit me with a stick.


Here is a pic of the party that represents my vision at the volunteer party.


I think I will not do my normal film festival partying here and just concentrate on seeing as many movies as possible because that was not fun...at...all.

I will hold off on blogging about any more movies until they have their first public screening. I didn't know and no one mentioned any protocol on that sort of thing. I apologize to anyone that I need to. I just write about my thoughts on movies for my friends. If anyone wants to email me and tell me I'm an ass- that's cool. alex@fakewoodwallpaper.com -

No comments: