Friday, January 16, 2009

Watching Movies!

I am here at the Sundance Film Festival, watching movies- doing the volunteer thing. all that stuff.



That's me sitting by the fire in my nice condo.

I have seen 3 movies- 2 of which that have already played another festival, so I will talk about those. I will save my thoughts on Prom Night in Mississippi until after that film premieres.

I saw JOHNNY MAD DOG a couple nights ago. I didn't really give a damn about this film. I know there's an audience for it- but I don't care. It seems like an exploitation film that is set in an environment suitable to a film festival audience. let me explain- if I make a movie about some vicious people, doing heinous crimes and show you these things to shock you, and call the movie- The Mean Ass Bikers That Fuck Shit Up- that is an exploitation film. But if you make the bikers- Child Soldiers- then you have social commentary.......I don't think so. I think all the ideas in this film were addressed in about 3 minutes of Blood Diamond or 2 scenes of that Nick Cage movie Lord of War. Little kids with guns are bad.......got it. Child soldiers- not cool. I'm with you. Getting that took about 2 minutes of movie. Then I just watched this little bastards in a war zone. I didn't like it, didn't like the damn camera operator either. But moments of the film were pretty. But if you only break up Child Soldiers shooting people and going to war with Child Soldiers raping people, and leave the plot behind- I'm not gonna tell people to buy a ticket. (i capitalize Child Soldiers to emphasis the gravity of this calamity)

I just saw LYMELIFE. Fucking great. easily comparable to The Ice Storm. both the Culkin brothers are great, Alec Baldwin gives a wonderful performance. Timothy Hutton is AM-AZ-ING but the real shoiw stealer to me was Jill Hennessy


She plays the Mom. She steals the scene after scene, and holds more than her own against Alec Baldwin in the film. Why the hell is she in not in everything?

See this film, comes out in April, made for $1.5 Mil- shot in 22 days, developed at the Sundance Institute and winner of the Audience Award at Toronto FF. A real Winner in my book. let me tell you a few things to look forward to: classic Baldwin asshole action-suburban meltdown(s), white tail deer, coming of age and Lyme disease. WHO'S NOT IN FOR THIS?

on a side note...I have a sweeeeeeeet condo. let me give you a tour tomorrow sometime. Now I have to go to bed, because there are films to see tomorrow. Many films. And Mike Tyson is around here somewhere. and hopefully Michael Shannon.

what else? Drove to Park City from LA, that was nice- stopped in Vegas. Vegas- you suck. maybe I need to go again, but I don't like the Vegas vibe. I also did not eat a $4 steak dinner. made a pot of 15 bean soup for $2 yesterday that is SOLID. ok, more movies tomorrow. Maybe a video blog if I feel like it.

No comments: