Sunday, January 25, 2009

Finishing up the Sundance Bloggin'

Right now I am about 250 miles from Vegas driving back from Park City. I drove us through a shit-ton of snow coming down the mountain and now Katie has taken over the driving for a minute. This'll be a long blog, because I'm going to finish telling you my thoughts on the movies I haven't yet mentioned that I saw.

here's a video that doesn't do all the snow coming down justice:



Prom Night in Mississippi

I realize I never said anything about this movie because I saw it before it premiered...so let me say it now. This movie fucking sucks. Worst thing I saw at the festival. This MIGHT have made a decent 10 minute short....maybe. The Filmmaking is just flat out bad. They provide no insight into their subject, it is really just a prom video with a bunch of high school kids pontificating on race. At the Q&A the filmmakers couldn't really answer a single question about their subjects..at all. It was lame.

Crude

Fell asleep during this snooze-fest so I walked out. Pretty boring, maybe I'll give it another chance. heard a funny story about the director being an ass-hat at a few festival venues. It really is just another Eco-doc....someone is killing the Earth, a Corporate giant is Evil......this won't play anywhere but on PBS and film fests.

No Impact Man

This is an Eco doc that works. I guy decides for him, his wife and child to have no impact on the environment for one year. No trash, no transportation that is not powered by a human. No electricity, toilet paper....they go all out. The reason this doc works is because it is about this couple, who are also doing the eco thing. it is funny and entertaining and you learn shit about all that green living stuff. I enjoyed it and I'm sure it will influence my food habits for a couple of weeks.

World's Greatest Dad

This is Bobcat Goldthwait's film starring Robin Williams as a dad whose son dies in a freak masturbation accident. I heard people say this was a touching film- i don;t agree, but it was entertaining and had funny moments. it is a movie that lives in a weird place, it stars Robin Williams- but anyone who liked his last several movies will abhor this. And the film doesn't really push any boundries or ideas far enough to really appeal to hardcore cinefiles. it is kind of tame, even though it sounds like a black comedy winner. But there are great moments and it is full of sexual perversion.

Brief Interviews with Hideous Men

I really enjoyed this film even though I really didn't care for about half of it. The film is full of vinettes and monologues by some really talented actors. So when a section would begin that I wasn't into, I would wait it out and usually would like the next. Guys talking about sex, being jerkfaces and all that is always entertaining. The film is directed by Joe Krasinski from The (american) Office and my only criticism was for him to stay the hell out of his movie and never-ever say the line "I stand before you naked." Other than that, he handled everything wonderfully. and it is really well shot and the way several of the scenes plays out is really innovative.

Bronson

This film was right on time. Plotless violence and a great psycho performance from Tom Hardy as Britain's most famous prisoner. The film feels like Chopper at points. I really enjoyed it, especially about 25 movies into the festival. The lead character just likes to fight and stomp people. Never has an actor punched so many people in the face in one film. and he fights pitbulls with his bare hands.

Toe to Toe

i though this was a little too long at 110 minutes. It could have been 85 and really been a contender for some awards. It is about a rich white girl in high school that has more problems than her new friend, the black girl from across the tracks that is gonna study and make something of herself. Good looking cinematography, great acting and "I feel gross" sexual encounters made this an entertaining film even if it was quite bloated. I look forward to another film from this director.

An Education

This movie really ruins itself in the last 15 minutes. It was enjoyable enough for most of the film, then it goes to hell. I won't write more about it because I'm still pissed at the tacked-on, assenbly line ending to this film. Booooooo, BBC Films.

In the Loop

Hilarious political farce. great work all around. One of the few films that didn't insult my intelligence. It also co-stars Ann Chlumsky from BLOOD CAR. This movie should be at a theatre near you. The dialogue in this film is BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM....super fast and sharp. The insults in this film are so great that the same jackasses that do random scenes from Glengarry Glenross will pick up a few of these.

Big Fan

Written and directed by The Wrestler scribe Robert D. Siegel. This is an odd, dark film. I like it....some people might call it a little thin, and maybe it is- but I still like the film. Patton Oswalt is an obsessive Jets fan that lives with his Mom and works in a parking lot. Even if you've never been football crazy- you've been crazy about something else and can relate to this guy. I don;t want to give any more synopsis and ruin the great early turn this film takes- it caught me off guard and really pulled me in-I thought I was going to watch the kind of movie that shows you a pathetic character and you look down on him- but this movie is not that. Oh yeah, and Kevin Corrigan is in it- who doesn't love that guy? WHO? Show them to me!

It Might Get Loud

Rockers Jimmy Page, Jack White and The Edge (what kind of goddam name is that?) rock out. Jack White is actually pretty interesting but this shit gets pretty old after a while. They should cut this down and sell it to TV.

Stingray Sam

new shit from Cory McAbee....HELL YEAH. I LOVE LOVE LOVE The American Astronaut so I enjoyed this 6 episode series of space cowboy musical awesomeness. I'm so happy that he keeps doing his thing because no one else can do that thing this man does. You'll get to see these on some kind of screen, sometime soon. Till then GO TO THE WEBSITE and watch the trailer and get excited. you fucking should be!

1 comment:

ablebody said...

count me as a kevin corrigan fan.

i will now see this based only on that piece of information, and not your wrong-headed critique.