Monday, July 9, 2007

Investigative Journalism

I think its time for me to grab a camera and do a little investigative journalism. let me give you the set up.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

first I googled Investigative Journalism and I found this picture. I posted it to let you know this is serious buisness

Yesterday I had dinner with my father and brother. my brother and I were sitting around and he was telling me how to identify American Indians by the shape of their earlobes, a theory he came up with the day before. (He said that Indians have larger earlobes and larger ears- I said I don't think that's just an Indian thing and he won the argument with "How many Indians do you know") My brother then mentioned in passing that his landlord has him staying in the garage. He lives at a sort of half-way house for people with schzicophrenia. It's him and some war vets and the woman who owns the house. They cook him meals and that sort of thing. Well my brother mentioned that the house has room for 6 people but the woman has 10 staying there. I'm not sure if she has to be regulated by the state or what to have people like my brother in her care- but I'm going to research that today.

But if she has people sleeping in bunk beds and is charging their families or taking their social security checks then I better go stick a camera in her face and expose her, right? If she is the kind of person who earns money by exploiting the mentally ill and overcharging innocent people then it is my duty to do whatever I can to topple the system. What if I do that and those people have nowhere else to stay? or what if it is just a temporary thing and some of the residents are being relocated? Or what if my brother doesn't have his facts straight- like the earlobe theory- which I haven't disproven, I'm just skeptical. My brother wasn't complaining, he likes his place. He doesn't have to work and he goes fishing and ties flies all day. Flies for fly fishing like these:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
My brother is actually a fly tying genius and many of the flies he has designed are sold at fishing shops around the country. Most of which were designed and tied at his current residence.

So after I get to the bottom of whether any wrong doings is going on I should make sure that if I stir up trouble that the landlord doesn't kick my brother out of his room or put any Vietnam Vetrans out on the street because she is not following some sort of county code. I will also get some of those "I am a reporter" glasses at the top of the page.

At first this bit of Investigative Journalism seemed like a no brainer. Put a camera in the face of evil and expose it, but things only seem that simple if you don't stop and think about them. Or am I just over thinking it and things are all that simple unless you have time to think of ways to complicate them?

1 comment:

Victoria said...

you had me worried for a second... we are overloaded with exploitative, unresearched bullshit "journalism" these days. don't do that.