Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Veggie dinner

Apparently when I eat a 2 lb.  chateaubriand and a pile of goat sweetbreads covered in a broccoli purée after midnight it doesn't agree with my sleep. 

I knew this in the back of my mind. Red meat plus late night equals a nightmare of me trapped in a zombie apocalypse. 

Last night was no different. Brian Dennehey and I were trying to get a suitcase of money to his pickup truck before one of us were bitten then caught a bullet in his head. (secretly I think Dennehey wanted me dead so he could keep the money. But all the money in the world wasn't going to bring his family back)

So I ran from zombies all night and woke up and knew two things. 

1. After 10,000 zombie nightmares I'm kinda over it. It's stressful, the opposite of what I'm looking for when I sleep. 

2. For a whataburger, it might not be worth it. For another taste of late night glands, I'm prepared to load my dream shotgun with slugs one more time....if not 10. 

Taxi to Boca, a faraway Barrio. (expensive taxi- $5)

This place is a classic tourist trap. Lots of people accosting you to buy trinkets. We wandered around had a 'pressure beer' aka draft. In the late 1800s the small town of Boca tried to secede from the country. Thank god they didn't let them go. That would be like the US not holding onto West Virginia. 

I'm surprised that there's really not a lot of haggling here. (I'm still going to do it, but it isn't part of the culture) that's because everything is crazy cheap. I mean crazy cheap if you get out of tourist town. It's pretty great. 

The Diary of Anne Frank was on sell near a train station. I thought I heard a guy call it the Diarrhea of Anne Frank. I repeated it several hundred times

Walked and walked and had ice cream. Ice cream is for serious here. 

Saw a guy getting really weird with some Tango people on the street. There are people doing the Tango everywhere. A normal person tips them, tales a picture and moves on. This freak show was directing his own photo shoot with two barely willing participants. 


Bought sone Bus tickets to the next town and got some help from a nice missionary guy. 

It Rained. A lot. So we ate empanadas and waited it out. Then left the cafe and it started raining again. How exciting is that!!!!??

I took a Nap. Which is something I would never normally do when traveling. I would normally be driving myself into the ground seeing sights and partying at night. But not so much partying this time. you're suppose to party here. But I think you're suppose to party in every city. I don't mind the nap and late dinner business. 

After my nap I met a girl Katie was talking to from Australia. She was on a 10 month trip. Australians really go for it when they travel. I'm not sure why.  

Had a veggie dinner at a restaurant called Bio. Really great. Cold raw veggie soup- amazing. Empanada filled with mustard greens and olives and whatnot. Yes. Then a quinoa and risotto fresh veggie mixture with local goat cheese. Holy shit. Add some fresh fruit juices, water and the fact that two people could never eat all that....$35. Score.

Maybe tonight I will dream I have hair like Maradona and two watches. 

No comments: