Saturday, May 17, 2008

THE FALL

I just saw THE FALL at Arclight and it was followed by a very long Q&A with the director Tarsem. you should do yourself a favor and go see this film. it is eye candy meant for the big screen- it also features one of the best child performances I have ever seen. you might dig the movie- like I did- or you might not. But you should see it . It was shot in 18 countries over 4 years. The director does A TON of big big commercials and music videos and all that kinda stuff. He piggy backed a bunch of the locations onto commercial shoots and let a 6-year old Romanian girl dictate the flow of the film. He also directed The Cell...which I never saw. But this movie is really cool- it is a fairy tale, fantasy- whatever you wanna say and the story of the making of the film and the ideas the director had for it were really amazing. And even though I would think that a huge commercial director with one name would be really full of shit, he actually wasn't. He quoted Rodney Dangerfield and sited Kurosawa and Polanksi as influences. Just go see it- the guy made it out of pocket too and believe me, it is pretty nuts. This movie was TRASHED by every reviewer because the guy made commercials or they said the film was boring or whatever. But I am glad I shelled out the cash to go see it. And I paid full ticket price. I could write more but I'm tired.

No comments: