Monday, November 26, 2007

book and movies



recently read Cormac McCarthy's the road. Good stuff. Terrifying scenes in that book. Optimism through Cynicism. The world is ruined. Envy the Dead. This is my favorite line from the novel- "There is no book and your fathers are dead in the ground."

At first when I was reading this book I thought, "Why doesn;t McCarthy just blow his brains out?" But I don't think he really has a completely negative outlook on the world and its future. If he did, why write? and also why write this kind of book with its satirical themes. That is the writing of a cynnical man who does care for his world. I read Michael Chabon's revue of the book here it has a great passage in it about a book that is truly about the end of the world and an apocalypse like the one in McCarthy's novel would be a book just full of white pages. That's funny to me

I saw Margot at the Wedding. I loved it. A friend of mine said that Jack Black trying to act ruined the movie for him but I disagree. Sure another actor could have played it better, but he didn't bother me. I loved the lighting, the fact that it seems or with either is natural light. I also really loved Kidman in the film. Casting her as the jerkoff parent was hard to accept, which is really the same position the family is in. It is really hard to accept that a close family member is just a self centered asshole.

I'm Not There. a mess but an entertaining one. The movie is trying to be the contradicting, myth filled, confusing life of Bob Dylan, and I guess it does that. I just don;t know if the goals the film has are one's an audience really wants to watch. Cate Blanchett is great, she is asshole 'Don't Look Back' Bob Dylan in Fellini's 8 1/2. I can't say that setting this part of the film on the sets of another film really did much for me- I see the connection. I just don't care. The story between Heath Ledger and the pretty french girl was well done also- I just don;t know what it really has to do with Dylan. Maybe it didn't feel like it fit because it told a story. I guess it si the kind of movie I say to see but I won;t ever watch it again.

No comments: