Thursday, February 28, 2008

Snow Angels Premiere

Went to the EGYPTIAN THEATRE to see the premiere of David Gordon Green's latest SNOW ANGELS. Much like everything since Mr. Green's first film George Washington (masterpiece?)- I really liked a lot of things, I thought some things unnecessary, and I didn't care for others. This is not an uncommon reaction to a film- but I really LOVED things in this film -Sam Rockwell- although all the other characters were great to watch, except Kate Beckinsale. The character she played was not well written and when it was time for Beckinsale to deliver the goods, she didn't do it for me.I don't just blame her- I don't think it was on the page and when she wasn't really giving a performance to pull me in, the editing didn't help her out. Don't get me wrong, this movie is a whole hell of a lot better than most things released. There is always a moment in a Green film that makes me happy I watched it, something I had no idea I would ever see and feel better for seeing. In this film, for me- it is a scene without dialogue in which some people dance. It is fucking amazing. But because there are always these moments that amaze me so in these films- I hold them to an entirely different, and probably unsurmountable standard.

I also want to say how impressed I am by the line up of films at the American Cinematheque. Holy shit- is all I can say. See for your self at their site. If I could go everyday- I would. Don't think I won't try.

I also left a message for the theatre goers near me on Craigslist. read it here- those people sucked.

here's a pic of Ava Gardner, that K Beckinsale played in The Aviator

1 comment:

John Grubb said...

hah! your rant has already been flagged!!